Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Programmer or Serial Killer?

As I was taking a leisurely stroll through the wilds of the world wide web, I came across this question: "Did you know the first computer programmer was a woman?"

"Why no," I thought to myself, "I didn't".

Then I told myself, "aspect-of-self who I call 'Violet', this mystery woman may just compliment the current roster of GBS patron saints" (who are currently Lady Scorpion, Mae West, and Kali).

"Yes, self," I myself decided for this GBS spectre of self, "Skip writing about your other self's trip to Thailand and just write about the fact that the first computer geek was a chick."

And besides, our mascot — you know, the Girl Guide who pitched her own tent — could use a smart, nerdy friend around here; the other bitches are a bad influence on her, always dragging Boy Scouts into GBS to tempt her innocence.

So I googled "first computer programmer" to find the name of our new patron saint, and of course something way more interesting came up... a quiz entitled: Program Language Inventor or Serial Killer?

I know my serial killers. I got 9/10. They're always the ones you least expect.

Take the quiz and view all the creepy pictures: the programmers are unkept and have this wild look in their eye, while the killers are nattily dressed (except one) and dead calm. The shock and awe of it: there's a programmer who also happens to be a serial killer.

That dude should be the subject of a TV movie of the week...doh... right, focus girl: the GBS patron saint for this week is: Ada Byron Lovelace

And, no, she didn't marry "that Byron" — she sprung out of his loins.

Wait a second.

Now I'm starting to think about Byron and Shelly: two sensitive guy pals who saw the smarts in women:
  • Percy spit out a daughter bedded Mary, the woman who wrote Frankenstein,
  • And Lord B. sprung another who invented the first program language.
Wow... If I decide to get knocked up, I'm bedding me a poet...

6 comments:

Mata Hari said...

Silly Violet,

I know your soul is probably still floating somewhere over the Pacific (see Gibson: "Pattern Recognition" re: effects of jet lag) but I can't let this one slide.

Percy bedded Mary of Frankenstein fame, he didn't father her. They ran off together and lived as revolutionaries in the Bavarian hills with Byron and company. (Her mother was the famous Mary of 'Vindication of the Rights of Woman' fame. It is all very tangled and romantic). She is also agruably one of the first ever science fiction writers and therefore a favorite of mine.

So now we have 2 girls as firsts in the land-o-the-geek: Programmer and sci-fi writer. Feel that estrogen surge.

Violet Chrome said...

whoops.

Post: you should not relegate those big-brained and sassy smarts of yours to the comment area. Break out of this cardboard box, a shine in the ghetto.

Anonymous said...

girl. order it now, you have some catching up to do!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385482604/102-2148939-3107351?v=glance&n=283155

Violet Chrome said...

Ohhhh. I love zeros. Thanks for the link to this book anonymous.

... said...

i have nothing to say here, really - but i just had to point out that at this moment in time the word verification is as follows: osmutks.

i think we should all take a moment here and appreciate. oh. smut. kiss. v

Spencer Maybee said...

I got 9/10, but Fuzz-UCK is this shizz hard. Clearly a congruity of the brain/hygiene patterns between programmers and serial killers.

GOT BRAIN?