Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My New Local

In the epic wasteland of Vancouver scenesters and flavour-of-the-week watering holes, I think I may have found my niche. Right along the lines of The Atlantic Trap and Gill (minus the hot turkey sandwiches) is Curl at the Marpole Curling Club (8730 Heather Street). I can't say enough about it. I fell in love with this place during my first visit last week.

What's in store for you should you venture down to the ass end of town? Jethro Tull on the Hi-Fi and glasses of wine (you get your choice of red or white) for $2.95 and they fill’er right to the top. You can even curl a bit if you feel like it. Thursday is Business Ladies Night. Get out there and network girls!

Oh sure, I have tried denied my white trash heritage in the past but this place brings it all screamin’ to the surface. It reminds me of the period in my life when my family lived in Atikokan (which is two hours NORTH of Thunder Bay in Ontario). We lived there for four years and my mother used to curl every winter. I don’t think she particularly liked it but it helped to stave off the winter-induced suicidal ideation. My sister and I spent many an hour sitting in the curling lounge eating boiled hotdogs and reading Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books.

I call for the first GBS field trip.

5 comments:

Mata Hari said...

Oh, I forgot to mention. The lounge is fully equiped for all your fine dining needs. They have the second microwave ever manufactured, I swear! When you open the door the thing keeps pumpin' out free-radicals for all.

When one of my party asked if they had anything hot to drink (we had been standing on ice for an hour and a half) she was offered "old coffee" or powdered apple cider.

Ah, trashy bliss...

Smartbunny said...

WE HAVE TO GO! I can't believe this place even exists in Van. Ever since they closed my favourite Legion, the late, lamented Taurus Unit on Hastings and Hamilton, I've had no place to go for pints (poured from dirty lines) and shuffleboard... Thank you, Mata, for finding us a new club. Although I've never curled, I am sure my trash rural Ontario/prairie heritage will somehow come shining through.

Violet Chrome said...

Oh yeah... a perfect spot for a GBS Business Ladies Night!

I dig. Oksana, can we rent a co-op van and driver?

Steve Shapero said...

This is the place that I first discovered Canterburys Dark Ale. They have it on tap. I'll try to dig up the photos I have of myself curling at this fine place.

Smartbunny said...

OK Shaps, you and your girl must come too--although I bet she will kick all our butts at curling. I want her on my team! Yes, I can rent a van: a minivan! How suburban is that?