Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Philly - Even Cooler Without the Steak

I'm in Philly at the moment, doing my first bid-ness trip ever. And I have to say, Philadelphia may just be my favourite American city so far. That's right, I may even like it better than NYC. Shock, awe and blaspheme, I know.

Philadelphia is stylish, design-y and chill... without the hippie underpinnnings. Everybody here has a hip and sway to them that is confident, but not brash; they are all uniquely hip without the hipster cheeze. I can't quite explain it within the remaining few seconds of battery power, but Philly utterly lacks any pretention that is associated with the Indie Credibility System, and yet there are cool kids everywhere. It's like people here don't have to try not-to-try here. They just be. I dig it.

The streets are quaint and inviting; every street has an inviting restaurant, bar or cafe located on it, that is not a part of a "chain" (except the occasional Dunkin' Donuts). The buildings are beautiful, especially the brownstones — they are utterly fabulous. It's like Sesame Street without the garbage.

And the best thing yet? I have not seen a single 7-11. Ahhhh.

East Market Street is where all the cool is at: the restaurants are have amazingly creative decor that doesn't seem contrived or forced, again nothing here seems painfully over-designed. I ate at "fork', a conservative, yet warm and inviting place to eat.

I never thought I'd fall in love with Philly, but I have. I only wish I had more than four hours to check it out... Philly: you're my kind of town.

1 comment:

Mata Hari said...

So do I hear the call for GBS field trip #2?

Missed you, but it sounds like it was fun.

ciao bella.