Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Life slips sideways


Alright Oksana, I'll see your challenge... and raise you one GBS image (okay. okay. I was maybe 21 here, but who can keep track of time when you've lived in the same apartment for 10+ years?):

1. Where did you live?
  • Here, in this 100-year-old brick building with my two roomates. Currently, yammering yellow monsters shake the speakers off my desk. And the people upstairs are polishing their hardwood floors my ceiling at 7 am. But, I'll tell you, all this noise is better than an alarm clock: you can't snooze the ceiling from falling in, or "Buddy!" and "Hey, dude!" megaphoned from the cavernous ditch that used to be the sidewalk. Of late, well...I have been having terror-istic fantasies.
2. Who did you love?
  • A heart-shaker, a mood breaker, a man-child who professed to "have no feelings". (Thought he was being lovingly dramatic. Apparently not.)
3. Where did you work?
  • A place where I drank on the job, listened to Musak, and won an award for "best Vancouver Ambassador 2000". It was a fun couple of months. I think I received $40 dollars in gift certificates to a renown nipple-sucking shooter bar here in Vancouver.
4. What were you listening to?
  • Mphfft. Mfptfft. Mphfft. WawoughWawough. Mphfft. Mfptfft. Wawough. Wawough. Tweeee. Tweeee. I wanna know-ow. I wanna know-ow. Feel the bass. Mphfft. Mfptfft. Feel the bass. I'm in extasy. I feel the extasy. High-ah. High-ah. I feel the bass. Can-yah feel the bass?
5. What was your state of mind?
  • See above.
6. Where did you imagine being now?
  • Anywhere but here. Maybe richer. Maybe famous-er. But it's pretty excellent being here; I just couldn't imagine this state back then. It wasn't on the hierarchical timeline. I went rivulet on the straight stream. Very interesting waters.
7. What is the biggest lesson you have learned since then?
  • Life slips sideways.

3 comments:

Steve Shapero said...

See my answers here: http://ghettopimpsummer.blogspot.com/2006/03/five-years-ago-game.html

You'll laugh...

Violet Chrome said...

Already did. Laughed out loud at work. Our musical tastes and frame of (or lack thereof) mind were similar...makes sense, as we be the: GBPS

Smartbunny said...

Ha, love both responses, and that fantastic photo, V. Love too that the exercise sparked self-reflection. Maybe it's unsurprising that all our answers to the last question are pretty much the same.

I personally have to go back ten years to hit the era of gigs, clubs, tips (collecting them, not leaving them) and sluts (being and doing: see tips, above). I then had to spend a few years on Asian beaches and in the Himalayas to recover and make the crossing between that era and the flailing me of five years ago.

Good not to be flailing any more, although those gigs were excellent.