Monday, March 20, 2006

Five years ago game



Where did you live?
Who did you love?
Where did you work?
What were you listening to?
What was your state of mind?
Where did you imagine being now?
What is the biggest lesson you have learned since then?

All useful questions, looking back and looking forward. Especially if progress sometimes feels difficult to measure.

For me, the answers read this way:
A loft in Gastown, all bricks and fir and open space.
K. He still loved me then, too.
I was in school, doing my Master's. I was off to New York to do an internship at Esquire.
Wilco.
Happy, hopeful, free, nothing to lose, everything to gain.
Where I am now, career-wise, but only in my wildest dreams. Romantically... not here. Good thing we don't always get what we want.
That I can survive anything. That I am more beautiful and smart and independent than I knew I could be. That you come through and go farther and everything changes and nothing stays the same, but it's alright. It's all alright.

No comments: