Friday, October 20, 2006

Second Life is the new D+D

Have you heard of Second Life? It's a 3-D virtual world entirely built and owned by its residents. (Since opening to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by a total of 1,049,837 people from around the globe.)

Strange times.

Apparently you can actually buy, sell and set up real estate in this cyberworld, which you exchange via Second Life dollars, AKA "Linden Dollars".

I've signed on as Violet Cydrome (you have to select from a range of last names). My avatar is some cyberpunk babe – shock and awe.

I'm excited about the concept, but a tad suspicious of the economic mandate (you have to pay to play). I'm worried it's a place without the political mores and balance of a "Buy Nothing Day" movement. But I haven't investigated this world. If it hasn't already, I'm looking forward to a time when the political urest rears its monstrous and beautiful head (a predictable future predicated on the past). Avatar heads will roll.

Like I have enough time in the day to frequent another world. This world is really too much with us...cyberoaches.

No comments: