Thursday, December 01, 2005

I am sinless and the root of sin derives from me

You know, we went kinda wrong somewhere around the 2nd century BCE.

Okay, I can be more precise: faith went kinda wrong when it signed a blood oath with "hierarchy" and "binary" and proceeded to take over the world. Trust me, double-speak was around before 1984 was born of Century's loins.

Check out this poem from the Nag Hammadi called "The Thunder, Perfect Mind".

I am absolutely fascinated by this poem. I mean, this poem was written in Egypt around 2nd or 3rd century BCE, and it has a better grasp on "identity" than any current identity politic.

It's a lovely poem, speaking more about what's in between the "names", between the "language". And, really. This is where "we" reside - language can never name us, really - and yes, I'm getting all Derridian on your ass. But man, what makes us think we, post-post and post-moderns, invented this theory? What egotistical, history-smacking toadies we all are.

Whenever I read this poem, I chuckle at the thought of our "Progress". Are we wiser? Smarter? Fairer? Really? Are we really?

Oh god, what's happening to me? This is the second "religious" post. Next thing you know, I'll be writing about the nifty new waterfall temple I built in my bedroom and chanting hymns to Sophia and the snake of knowledge.

No comments: