Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Favorite Christmas Gift by Mata Hari

My fella gave me a really fun new toy for Christmas. I got the Nike+ shoe fob/itunes integrater thingy that hooks up to your iPod and tracks your runs for you.

I'm sure there is a much more succinct description of it here. Let the marketing heavyweights behind Nike and Apple explain it to you. Read all about it and then meet me right back here, okay?

podpod

Pretty cool, huh? (althouth mine didn't come with those tits. hmph.)

I have just recently gotten back into running. It used to be a bit of a chore for me. Something to be done pretty well exclusively for weight loss with little or no redeeming qualities (other than,"It feels so good to stop!").

But in this latest foray into running, things have changed. Maybe it goes along with that whole turning thirty thing but now when I run I feel strong and as a result I feel smug. And I love feeling smug!

It's awful to admit but when I am running I feel better than other people. Feeling better than people really doesn't happen very often in my life so it is a lovely, novel thing to experience. My favorite is running past restaurants full of people stuffing themselves or blowing by people all bundled up, walking their yappy little colour co-ordinated dogs. I live in Yaletown so one of these two scenarios is happening nearly continuously during my runs.

Anyways, so now I have this new toy to play with which adds even more fun to my runs. It really appeals to the OCD/AR part of me. I can track my pace, distance, time etc. and upload each run on to the Nike website where I can see my run plotted out on a graph. Ooow!

Plus you can choose your "Power Song"; when you press the center button on your iPod during your run it will play your own personal "Eye of the Tiger" (mine is currently "Keep Hope Alive" by The Chrystal Method). Go ahead and laugh but I was a raver in my time and was always inordinately fond of anthems, so there:P

However, I am now on the look out for new tunes to add to my running playlist. What music do you workout to? What is your Power Song? Remember, confession is good for the soul.

3 comments:

Cameron Labine said...

you should check out the song nike commissioned from lcd soundsystem "45:33", I beleive for this very ipod cross-promotion. It's 45 minutes and 33 seconds long and it's excellent workout music...

Mata Hari said...

I have. I still like to run for my life at this point but maybe I'll actually try running to it. Who knows maybe a relaxed run is fun too.

Cheers.

Violet Chrome said...

Death from Above — d'uh