Thursday, April 12, 2007

Let's talk about our feelings

Let's say this is some stupid pop quiz and you have to select an emotion that best describes the average Vancouverite: Sexy? Guilty? Depressed? Blissed-out? Angry?

Angry seems weird to me, but apparently Vancouver is the third most angry city in the world, according to a website that tabulates "I feel" statements from thousands of web logs across the world. Searching through this site, I expected to see Vancouver's emotions aligned with a city that has just been named the third best place to live in the world. Guilty that we have so much personal space and clean air? Sure. Sexy due to the proliferation of exercise and drugs? Sure. But ...Angry?

Angry about the traffic up Cambie Street? Angry about the lack of good brunch places? Angry that Soma moved? Angry that the hippies on Commercial Drive just seem to keep replicating? Angry that a 500 sq foot apartment nows sells for over a quarter mill?

What's worse...Torontonians are the sexy ones.

What is the world coming to?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the site. Oh the little interweb, look how far it has come--this reminds me of projects we were working on back in '00 but technology limited us--remember the CG "design process" in flash, Ryan, if you are out there???

Anyway, Vancouverites don't know how good they've got it. Come spend six months in Toronto and try to be angry when you return.

I'm trying to do a "find one thing to love about this city every day," as a kind of practice. Today I loved the young streetcar driver on Queen who sang out every stop in a rich, R&B kind of tenor; I love (but am also strangely saddened by) the old buildings, also on Queen in my neighbourhood, that wear "hats" (Queen Anne era turrets, really); and I love my Ashtange yoga class, where the instructor today pushed me beyond where I've ever gone--sitting on the floor, legs straight, my face was buried in my ankles, for the first time, smooshed right into them, kissing the tops of my feet.

I love that not everyone here smokes.

-Oksana

MoneyGirl Expert said...

As a 10-year veteran of Toronto (originally from Ottawa), I agree that finding things to love about the Big Lemon can be difficult. I live in the Beaches (the only area worth living in :) and I only go downtown when I absolutely have to. My girlfriend refuses to ever move back here because there's no nature or greenery except in scattered spots in the urban jungle and parts (like the entire eastern waterfront are downright ugly and frightening -- esepicaly anywhere along Lakeshore E.).

I live in my little neighbourhood and enjoy it, but man, I would never live downtown. Ever. Really.