Monday, April 09, 2007

Ghetto Tour 2007


So Ghetto Girls, where will THIS summer take us? Admittedly, summer is fucking far away from where I sit: it fucking SNOWED here today. I'd settle for bloody spring! Violet's excellent suggestion to clean house in your knickers was done in for me by the fact of the outside temperature (-2) and the fact that my six twelve-foot windows lack blinds. But I endorse the suggestion if you live where spring exists and window coverings allow.

So, summer. I finally feel I'll be able to enjoy it, when it comes (if it comes), now that I have a home, a tiny toehold in this city. It's been hard to let go and just have fun when I've felt so unsettled, so caught up in change. (See home, below. The chartreuse wall will go.)




Now I just want to have fun, post here, explore more, get back to what feels like normal life. (Although I do have lots of painting left to keep me at home: that fumy, addictive, brain-addling chore.)

Some things have changed for me since joining (co-founding, with Violet) GBS. I've quit a job, taken a new one, moved thousands of miles to a new city, gotten engaged and bought a flat. All of which has proven as unsettling as fulfilling. Not that being unsettled is bad.

But it's interesting: getting engaged has completely quenched any desire I ever had for a wedding--the whole idea fills me with disgust, I'm not sure why. I hope I get over it. Uber-busy hipster Toronto has made me long for quiet, green, unaffordable, less hip (but also more hip) Vancouver. Work is great, no qualms there. The new home is also great, but fills me with dread at the idea of paying for it; apparently this wears off eventually.

I guess my point is, it doesn't matter if you are single or coupled or employed or whattever the fuck: what can you do but dance in your skivs in the summer sunshine angling through your window? Provided they're sort of covered? That is the GBS way. I guess I will have to just do it anyway and freak out the old Portuguese ladies if they happen to peek out their dusty second-floor windows.

Here is to whatever adventures GBS Summer 07 brings our way, here's to whatever trouble and delight we make.

6 comments:

Violet Chrome said...

WTF? "Ghetto Bitch Sisters"? How awesome is that ticket!

What are they? Are they our sisters?

Anonymous said...

chartreuse, chartreuse - your acrid colour reminds me of alcoholic afternoons in France. A bottle of pastis, a pitcher of water and a bucket of ice, and a lot of stories to share.

congratulations for all the fine "Additions" to you life

jonnie

http://www.beerliquors.com/buy/anise/ricard_pastis.htm

Smartbunny said...

"They" is us!

I should have posted the link. I made that excellent ticket (makes a great gift!) at http://www.says-it.com/concertticket/.

Ha! It was fun. Spam your nearest and dearest with fun fake tickets. Or make and print a ticket to that Phish show you missed back in '98!

(Yesterday, I noticed somebody from my building was throwing out--not recycling, this ain't Vancouver--a whole box of old Phish homemade CDs and Dave Matthews tapes. I gagged laughing to myself in the garbage shed.)

And thank you, Jonny, for finding beauty in this chartreuse wall, it's making me eyes bug out!

Anonymous said...

But weddings are wonderful!

Smartbunny said...

Ha ha! I still want to be married to the Ninja, and the idea of City Hall somewhere with him and a bottle of Krug sounds appealing. And I love my friends, and partying with them.

But when a girlfriend said the other day, "I'd go with you any time you want to try on dresses," I was like, "wha tha fa?"

I love dresses. I love parties. But that is not. Us.

I want to do this, somehow, but I feel anything resembling a wedding might spiral horribly out of control.

Stand alert for the sudden call to attend at the Hotel De Ville in Montreal or City Hall in Manhattan.

I could still wear a nice dress.

FIGURE 8 said...

wow - i just watched ;high fidelity; and that wall is the same colour as the wall in lisa monet's apartment...whatever happened to lisa monet...? and how is the painting going?