Friday, March 30, 2007

Queen of chav

I was reading up on Lily Allen to find out what this precious little sour tart was all about ... and to verify her authenticity.

And what did I encounter but a whole bunch of English slang that I had never heard before. Namely, I encountered the term chav (see the image? that's a chav).

Chav seems to speak to a group of skids that I, in my West Coast Canadian way, call "white yos" (think Surrey boys in gangsta suits). You know, those hard-core yos who talk "street cred" while they're pulling bills from the bank-of-dad.

I'm calling these precious little bits of our social network chavs from now on.

So back to little ole Lily... there's a possee of higher class brits who take on lower class accents for "street cred" (Hello Mr. Jagger!). A few articles on Miss Allen cited her as a pseudo chav. Well, actually, they didn't cite her as a pseudo chav, they called her out as an "overrated queen of chav". I dig this phrase.

Good terms like this equal good times.

So now I'm off to troll Robson Street to see if I can "accidentally" bump into some track-suited hipster and banish him or her an "overrated chav".

More fun terms: chav, scally, townie, ned, kev, yarco, dobber, mallie, meader

No comments: